*Pin button by mybloggerbuzz.com*/

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday – White Ribbed China Patterns


As someone who loves dishes and enjoys doing research on various patterns, I’ve noted that certain patterns become classics and have been copied or modified by many different china manufacturers and in many different countries. I’d like to discuss one such case, dishes with a ribbed pattern.

My vintage subject for today are items similar to the Wedgwood "Edme" pattern, Made in England.

I got started collecting these when I found several pieces at a thrift shop -- 3 Dinner Plates, 1 Cream Soup Bowl and underplate, and 4 Bread and Butter Plates. I wrote about finding the cream soups here. Below is a photo showing a place setting where I used these Edme items:


This Wedgwood pattern is Queensware and is truly an elegant embossed ribbed design
The creamy porcelain has a starburst ridge pattern on plates. Cups have vertical ridges and a pedestal foot. The saucers have a starburst ridge pattern.The Edme pattern was made from 1908 until about 1997. The dinner plate for my new breakfast setting shown in today’s Tablescape Thursday.

Searching online, I’ve spotted several similar patterns with the ribbed design. The first is Mikasa "Italian Countryside" Made in Japan.

Gibson China "Claremont" Made in China, which was recently available at Big Lots in a complete set fserving 4 at a very attractive price. This set of dinner plates, cups, bowls, salad plates, saucers, napkin rings, etc. has been shown in tablescapes all around blogland.
Here are photos from Ebay listings:

The Claremont pattern is all white with embossed scrolls and columns. It was produced from 2002-2006 and is now discontinued.

Another vintage pattern is Meakin "Leeds" Made in England
"Backstamp: Traditional Ironstone - Leeds Shape - (Picture of the CROWN) - Reproduced from the original Leeds Pottery of 1760 in Timeless Elegance for Dinnerware Connoissuers by English Craftsmen - Alfred Meakin Staffordshire England."

The J & G Meakin "Classic White pattern" has a ribbed rim that is distinctly scalloped

Another English maker, Johnson Brothers, produced an ironstone pattern called "Athena." It was made in England from 1955-1999.

The Danish firm Dansk, also produced a ribbed pattern made in Japan. I do not know the pattern name.

American china maker, Shenango has a ribbed pattern called "New Castle" Made in USA
SHO26
This Lenox ribbed pattern,"Temple Off-White" was Made in USA.
Another American manufacturer, Libbey, but Made in China, has a new ribbed pattern

Finally, we ends our review with a vintage ribbed pattern by McCoy:

Thanks for stopping by and viewing my VTT topic for this week. Leave a comment, please.
See more Vintage Thingies Thursday posts listed by Suzanne at Coloradolady.

19 comments:

marian said...

that was mesmerising and ssoo informative!..it's such a classic design no wonder they keep reinventing it..the oldies are much nicer though aren't they!

Debbie said...

Who knew there were so many patterns of dishes with a ribbed design! I especially like the plates with the scalloped edges.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

All of them are so pretty and elegant!

Keetha Broyles said...

I love the simplicity of the white dishes, but what really caught my eye was the unusual napkin "ring"

Kathi Fly said...

How interesting! Beautiful white classic dishes. They always look so elegant in any setting.

★Carol★ said...

I love white dishes! They can be either dressed up or down. Kinda like the little black dress! They say every woman should have one, but I think she should also have a set of white dishes too!
Happy VTT!

Postcardy said...

That is the most interesting post on dishes I have seen. I always feel like most designs clash with the food. Even paper plates have used plain white ribbed designs.

Unknown said...

Honestly! Fabulous post and this is why I find china so intimidating too! I cant tell old from new and the nuances of it are lost on me!

I find something I think is old and it was from the dollar store last thursday!

I loved this post!

Carrie said...

Keetha,
That napkin ring is in shape of a banana! It’s part of a collection I have of napkin rings in shape of apples, apricots, lemons and bananas.
Carrie

Old Time Cindy said...

You really did your homework. I love white dishes. Thanks for sharing!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

rt said...

These are all pretty!

Coloradolady said...

I had no idea there were so many variations to this pattern, I think I have seen several in the past, but did not know anything about them. Great post...Have a great weekend and a wonderful VTT!

Jocelyn said...

I love white china. You can do so much with it. I'm just getting around to visiting the VTT blogs. It's always so fun to see what everyone is showing.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

The white china is so pretty and practical...it goes with anything and everything! Great choices!

Anonymous said...

You just can't go wrong with white dishes. Love all of the info you've given. I have the J & G Meakin "Classic White pattern.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Miri said...

Oh this was so interesting...thanks for the tour/history of ribbed pottery. Your dishes are lovely.

Anita said...

Beautiful!
I had quite a bit of Wedgewood Hedgerose that I collected piece by piece - after the tornado I think I only have 3 plates left.. BUT, that just means I get to hunt for more, right? and the hunt is part of the fun...
have a wonderful weekend...

JEWELGIRL said...

Your white china is fabulous and you
have very nice ideas for table setting!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Very interesting! Thanks for doing the research and passing it along to us!

Katherine