*Pin button by mybloggerbuzz.com*/

Friday, April 17, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday & Friday Show and Tell – Cream Soup and Liners

Show and Tell

Show and Tell Friday is hosted by the very talented Kelli at There is No Place Like Home

For a long time I’ve been looking to buy cream soup and saucers for my two best china sets. But the cost per unit is so high that even on sale I’ve not been able to get any at all.
A cream soup bowl or bouillon cup has two handles and is a bit smaller than a cereal bowl. It comes with a matching saucer, called a saucer, liner or stand.

Just last month I visited the hospital thrift shop and found a vintage cream soup and stand in the Wedgwood Queensware “Edme” pattern, with its elegant embossed ribbed design.


Also nearby were 3 dinner plates and 3 bread and butter plates. “The Edme pattern is a creamy porcelain with starburst ridge pattern on plates. Cups have vertical ridges and a pedestal foot. The saucers have a starburst ridge pattern. The Edme pattern was made from 1908-1997.

Since I’ve been gathering white and off-white plates and bowls in a variety of patterns, I decided to buy them. Total cost was just $3.25. Since then I found another dinner plate and three cream soup bowls and saucers.

I am looking forward to serving cream of broccoli, cream of potato, and asparagus soups in these special bowls.



Of course I am still hoping to stumble on bargains on fine china cream soups!
Lenox “Autumn”

Spode “Consul Cobalt

Royal Albert “Lady Carlyle”

Royal Worcester “Evesham Gold”


Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is welcome. Visit more Show and Tell at There is No Place Like Home.

I missed Vintage Thingies Thursday yesterday since I was very busy with the return of my mother, after a month of being away. Do stop to see the posts listed by Suzanne at Coloradolady.

9 comments:

Salmagundi said...

I, too, have been in search of cream soup bowls with liners in red transferware - any pattern will do. But, alas, they are so expensive. Love your white ones. Maybe, I'll have to go down that avenue! Hope the return of your mother is all going smoothly. Don't forget to take care of yourself. Sally

Ruby said...

VTT or show and tell, I enjoyed the post. Very informative. I love vintage dishes, although I hardly ever cook! Ruby

PS. loved the tea pots on the sidebar!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What a bargain on the cream soup bowls! The other soup bowl sets are really beautiful too!

Yum, I love broccoli soup! The others sound good too, please share your recipes!

Katherine

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the cream soup bowl and to find the saucers and plates too. How lucky and the price is wonderful. I love them. I don't have any either, but I am looking too. Love yours. Hugs, Marty

Sue said...

My oh my what a great bargain you got I am so pleased for you, I loved them and your other dishes to, I am glad to find someone else who loves dishes too. LOL
Blessings,
sue

Sandra said...

Very pretty! And what a good deal!
Have a lovely weekend,
Sandra

Dianne said...

I love the two handled bowls-very elegant and good finds!

Kelli said...

What a great deal, Carrie! I love cream dishes...they go with so many things.
~Kelli

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Carrie, I love your vintage finds. Thanks for visiting my blog. Yours is beautiful!
~~Terrie~~