*Pin button by mybloggerbuzz.com*/

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dinner for Mother

On Mother’s Day, May 11, 2008 I hosted a family dinner in honor of our mother. Travelling an hour and a half over the Massachusetts border, came my brother and his wife and 16-year old son from their home in New Hampshire. From an hour south here in Mass. My sister, her husband 17-yr old daughter and 22-yr old son.

The table was set with a beige tablecloth with lace and hand-painted roses. Here is my mother’s place setting at one end of the table.
The cream and cobalt bone china plates I got in England and the gilt flatware was my mother’s. The flatware coordinated with the gilt edging on the plates and goblets.

A fun item was an Edible Arrangement sent by my sister in Maryland. The fresh fruit were most succulent to nibble on and a delight to look upon.



The dining table centerpiece was quite simple -- light pink roses I placed in a cobalt blue ginger jar, and a silverplated candlestick on either side.

Other flowers were brought by my sister – roses and lilies. We placed them in two of my cream vases.

There were two cakes. The one I provided was vanilla with lemon filling topped with kiwi, strawberries and peaches.


I was only sorry that the cake was too big for my Princess House crystal cake plate cover.

The other cake, brought by my brother and family, was a white cake with buttercream icing topped with a spray of gum paste flowers.


In one corner of the dining room I hung two certificates my mother received in previous years – Grandma of the Year from two grandsons and Mother of the Year from my late brother.

On the nearby table were her cards,

a chocolate 22-cent stamp I gave her in 1990...

and fresh flowers.

In another corner is a small chest on which I placed some pink and white cups and saucers and dessert plates. The cups and plates picked up the rose theme, and were selected by my mother and I. Right at hand were sweeteners for tea – honey sticks, Stevia and Splenda.




The buffet was in the kitchen where everyone filled up his or her plates. A great time was had by all, with lots of eating, drinking, talking and laughing. All in all, a very memorable Mother’s Day. Mother was very happy.

7 comments:

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Carrie, This is a beautiful post! Everything looks so elegant! I'm sure your mom and family enjoyed this first class dinner! You make a great host, paying attention to even the little details! Your dishes are beautiful!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Love your shell planter in the following post, too! Very unique!

~Rhonda :)

Anonymous said...

Carrie that is fabulous! The table is beautiful.

My husband is from Whitinsville, Mass. Not far from the RI border.

{oc cottage} said...

You are so lucky! What a treat!

M

Kelli said...

Everything is just beautiful, Carrie! What a wonderful way to celebrate your Mother!
~Kelli

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful Mother's Day you had, thank you for sharing your precious day! :)

Julie said...

Just wanted to say hi and that I enjoyed my visit here. I miss my Mom like crazy. You are very blessed to still have yours.

Anonymous said...

I love how you have set your table -- so elegant! You can never go wrong with gold!