*Pin button by mybloggerbuzz.com*/

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Tennyson on Prayer

Driving back from having my driver’s license renewed at the Registry of Motor Vehicles, I was happy to have it done before it expired on my birthday early next week. The radio was tuned to WGBH Boston where I heard that today is Alfred Lord Tennyson’s birthday.

Tennyson was one of the greatest of English poets, who enjoyed great fame and acceptance in his own day. He was also the first to be knighted solely on his literary achievements.

For years I had a bookmark in my Bible with a verse from Tennyson.

"More things are wrought by prayer
Than this world dreams of.
Wherefore, et Thy Voice rise
like a fountain night and day."


Here is the context, in The Idylls of the King – The Passing of Arthur as King Arthur bids farewell to Belvedere.

"If thou shouldst never see my face again,
Pray for my soul. More things are wrought by prayer
Than this world dreams of. Wherefore, let thy voice
Rise like a fountain for me night and day.
For what are men better than sheep or goats
That nourish a blind life within the brain,
If, knowing God, they lift not hands of prayer
Both for themselves and those who call them friend?
For so the whole round earth is every way
Bound by gold chains about the feet of God.
But now farewell...."


I love to reflect that, so many bloggers, "knowing God," lift up their hearts in prayer both for themselves and for those of friends they meet only online.

I trust you are enjoying your day. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please come again.

1 comment:

Jenn Thorson said...

I love that you're promoting the reading of Tennyson. Too many folks get away with not reading these days, and while writers like Tennyson may seem difficult to our modern ears, it's worth the effort.