*Pin button by mybloggerbuzz.com*/

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Friday Finds

This summer, each time I had tried to visit a particular antiques store it turned out to be closed. On Friday Oct. 19, however, the side trip after delivering my mail to the post office was successful. During the course of my stay in the store I was told by the owner that she was selling the business to a gentleman whom was there at the time. He is a very pleasant personality and quite friendly as the still owner is. She said she would continue to work there, and to find merchandise, but not be in charge of the whole thing. Therefore, lots of things were on sale – “cheap, cheap,” she assured me.

While I did not find the tablecloth I needed for the kitchen, several other items caught my eye. There were loads of linens and handkerchiefs. Four of the hankies I got were 75 cents each and three were $1 each. They are quite nice designs with embroidery, lace and crochet details.







The teapot is a vintage design, but is a new dishwasher and microwave-safe reproduction. The teapot and matching mug cost $10.




The $1. red and white towel is USA-made of Belgian linen.



My selection of three books cost $4 total: Garden Style: Decorating Ideas for Indoors and Out, The Complete Guide to Gardening and In the Kitchen With Rosie: Oprah’s Favorite Recipes.



An addition to my blue and white teacup and saucer collection is a Limoges in pale blue. The store owner-to-be pointed it out to me, among several others. From a distance away, the current owner quoted us a reduction from the marked price of $11 to $7. However, when she was ringing it up, she exclaimed, “This is a Limoges! Oh, well, I am glad that it is you who’s getting it.” The wood cup and saucer stand was reduced from $6.95 to $2.00. Actually, looking carefully now at the cup and saucer it seems to be hand painted.



She also stalled a little in looking over the last three of my pick of handkerchiefs, saying “These are very well made; they usually go for $4…” -- and put a cost of $1 each.



The little crochet dress ornament was tossed in for free.



So my week-end shopping left me some quality items to add to the eclectic mix at Oak Rise Cottage.

8 comments:

Masaru Higashi (東 勝る) said...

wow.. to buy all that with a very cheap price. you are so lucky.
they are very lovely and worthy (of course)

Anonymous said...

The limoges cup & saucer are so pretty and how perfect is that display stand! You were lucky you went that day you got lots of great items!

Manuela

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Very pretty things you found, Carrie. You've been a busy girl. Thanks for all your positive comments & for stopping by to see me so often! I do appreciate it.

Rhoda

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Oh, I love vintage hankies! And the limoges cup/saucer are very pretty. You got some great buys!
Penny

Patty said...

wonderful hankies. I have a few that I have collected through time and cherish them

Cynthia said...

Love the handkerchiefs. Nice ones are so hard to find. Thanks for sharing your lovely finds!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Oh! I'm so happy you left a comment on my blog, so I could find yours! It's wonderful to find a fellow-collector! Actually, I think you may be my twin!! LOL! I love what I've seen on your blog so far. My dh will be home soon wanting dinner (can you imagine? Ha!) I'll come back later tonight and look at your archives!

Great finds at the antique store, makes me want to go find one now!

Katherine

I'd like to put you in my favorite blogs list. (I tried to add more a few nights ago, and it didn't work, I'll try again!)

Anonymous said...

You got quite a good deal on the hankies, as so often antiques malls have them for something insane like $4 and more a piece!

I've had some luck at our local Salvation Armies in particular getting them for the $0.50-$0.99 range. They're so pretty and decorative, there just seem to be a lot of possibilities for them!