*Pin button by mybloggerbuzz.com*/

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tablescape Thursday – Two Family Settings


Today I’d like to share two tablesettings from my visit at my sister’s Florida home last week.

At a luncheon meal on the dining table square animal print plates in brown and beige were set with coordinating black and white napkins.

Whimsical white plastic sherbet glasses complete the service.
We all enjoy both avocados and tomatoes. A slice of avocado looks great with a slice of red tomato. More tomatoes are in the salad bowl. A corn casserole is in the white Corning dish.
A macaroni and cheese casserole baked in a glass dish is set in a tray of iron with bamboo slats.


August is a great birthday month for this family. August 1 – their son-in-law; August 8 – their eldest son; August 17 – their daughter. And August 11 is my birthday. So the day before I left they held a surprise birthday party for their eldest son and I. This is a view of the windows with a Happy Birthday banner and blue and pink streamers.

Not having access to helium, one festive balloon was put up on the doors of the china cabinet. I was given another one to bring home with me.

Always a family favorite, the menu was all Mexican. Over the years, my sister has learned to prepare authentic dishes for Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, Chiles Rellenos, Cheese Enchiladas, and a corn salad. Here is a view of the table spread with a colorful striped cloth.
Refried Beans in a pottery bowl.
Cheese enchiladas were baked in a large Pyrex casserole.
Another ceramic bowl holds the Mexican rice.
A square ceramic plate holds Chiles Rellenos.
A colorfully patterned ceramic bowl on plate presents the corn dish.
These parrot plates each have different color combinations.

Welch’s sparkling grape drink and a birthday cake completed the menu.

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you will visit again soon. Please leave a comment. Be sure to visit our hostess Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for more Tablescape Thursday posts.

21 comments:

Martha said...

What pretty tables -- looked like you ate well at your sisters!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh what fun! Looks like a great time at your sister's house -- love the parrot plates and everything looks quite yummy!

The Bloom Girls said...

Wow, now I am hungry! Looks like your sister is quite the hostess! Thanks for sharing!

Karyn

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Happy Belated Birthday. It looks like you had a wonderful time and the tables and menues look sooooooo good. Love mexican food. Hugs, Marty

Joyce said...

I love the Parrot plates with all the colors. I love Mexican food! Thanks for sharing your fun TS.
Joyce

Salmagundi said...

Happy Birthday! Mexican food is always my choice for a celebration, too. Tell your sister that she sets a yummy-looking table. Sally

Sarah said...

Love the zebra plates and the parrot plates. Both fun and exotic!
Thanks for sharing ~ /hyacinthforthesoul.blogspot.com/

Debbie Pearson said...

Really love the parrot plates, they are so colorful and summery.

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Happy belated Birthday wishes Carrie!

It looks like you had a blast and were very well fed in your sis's beautiful home. The tables are lovely!

Freda Marie said...

Very nice setting and yummy looking food, I could almost smell the fragrance.

Denise said...

Ooh I love the setting, the bowls and plates go perfect... and the food looks delicious.

LillyB said...

Amazing!!!! Food looks so good too!!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Nice tablescapes! Food looks yummy, I love Mexican food!

Looks like a great birthday celebration! I know you enjoyed your big day!

Katherine

Brenda Pruitt said...

I LOVE those parrot plates! If it has feathers I love it! And macaroni and cheese and enchiladas. Yum! And whimsical too. Right up my alley!
Brenda

Eileen said...

Both table settings are very festive! I love the parrot plate! Great job!
All the best,
Eileen

Signing Out said...

How fun! The Mexican food looks yummy, too!

Jane

Bill said...

Hi Carrie,
Looks like it was a fun and very festive event! The menu sounds great too!

Bill

Carrie said...

Bill - Yes it was! Wait 'til you read the post I am planning for next Tuesday. After reading your post on your flatware collection I realized I needed a silverware chest for a set that was crowding out another in the drawer. On my birthday, Aug. 11 I found a chest and -- the rest is an interesting tale.
Carrie

Sharlotte said...

Great tables! I love it when the food matches the setting ~ this is rarely the case at my house, but I can dream!

I love the parrot plates...I've gotten on a bird kick lately!

Unknown said...

what a wonderful and original kind of Ceramic Plate,i love bermuda blue are similar to Italian Mosaics..so greatt

sez said...

How lovely! I hope you enjoyed your surprise party! I love surprises & don't understand how some people don't like them :) (Although I respect their views & don't hold surprise parties for my avid anti-surprise friends ;) )