*Pin button by mybloggerbuzz.com*/

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday – Powder Jar


I am participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday. On her blog Lisa, the Apron Queen, gives a comprehensive list of the sorts of vintage items which qualify: Briefly, they include vintage linens and textiles, vintage kitchen items, and vintage sewing items.

My vintage item for today is a powder jar. These were in common use in the 1950’s and 60’s for loose powder. This powder jar was used by my mother for many years, right up to 2006, when she left her senior citizen apartment to live with my sister. I can remember seeing it over the years on her triple dresser in her house in New York. It sat on a light turqoise embroidered doily. It is of ribbed glass or crystal with filigree goldtone metal band around the container.


The knob on the lid is in the shape of a swan.


For me this lovely powder box evokes my mother’s femeninity as did her brooches, gloves, hats, and other elegant accessories and clothing which she chose with an eye for elegance and grace.


Do visit Confessions of an Apron Queen to see more Vintage Thingies posts.

3 comments:

The Apron Queen said...

What a beautiful powder jar. And what nice memories. I don't know that they make anything like that anymore. Thanks for sharing.

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.

Lidian said...

That is just gorgeous, Carrie!

Trini said...

That's a darling jar!