*Pin button by mybloggerbuzz.com*/

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tagged!

I just read Prairie Dreams blog and found out that Anita has tagged me to tell seven things you might not know about me. Reading about other people being tagged, I should have prepared for this. Any way, here goes …
1. I lived and worked and studied in Texas in the 1970’s. First, in the Rio Grande Valley, then in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area.
2. Before that, I did graduate work in California. I really didn’t want to leave, but when a job offer came to go to Texas I felt that was where God wanted me to be. I was able to grow and to learn so much in my work. When I did leave Texas for Massachusetts it was hard to leave all that I had grown to love in the six years I was there.
3. Having graduated with majors in English and Spanish and a minor in Library Science, I taught English the first year in Texas, then both English and Spanish the following year. Wealthy ranchers’ daughters from just over the border came to study English, so they were all four placed in my English and Spanish classes. Sometimes I actually had to have class time with them after school hours, since it was often problematic to try to teach English-speaking students, while trying to involve the language learners.
4. I am from a family of seven children. I was third born, and the first daughter. So two brothers before me, one more brother after me – and then three sisters in a row, each two years apart.
5. While working full-time at a college in Massachusetts, I took classes in interior design, since it is a subject that interested me since I was about 15. I took three years of coursework, but as a full-time worker could not find enough free time to do the required interior design fieldwork.
6. My interest in tea and gracious entertaining had an outlet at work, when I set up a Poetry Lecture Series. The fall semester’s the after-lecture reception was Sunday Brunch, and in the Spring it was a mid-week Afternoon Tea. It so happened that the honoree for the lecture series owned a collection of tea cups – most of them English bone china. Each was a different pattern and each was a delight to behold. Best of all, we were able to use them for the Afternoon Tea each spring. To make up the needed number, I would supplement with some of my own teacups and saucers.
7. Due to severe back ailment and accompanying complications, my life took a drastic change right at the turn of the century. No longer employed full-time, I opened a small boutique and gallery called Carola Cachet Design. It was located on the lower level of my raised ranch house. But after about two years, I had to discontinue due to health reasons.

Well, I hope these details gave you a better idea who Carrie is. Thanks for reading.
[Clipart from antiqueclipart.com]

3 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Carrie,
Lovely getting to know a little more about you!
Penny

Anita said...

Wow! Great things!
I wanted to major in English in college... Didn't get to go...

Isn't it funny how God's plans for us, even though we don't want to change, always end up better that what we could have planned for ourselves?? :)

Thanks for doing the meme!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

That was interesting!

Do you still have back problems? I'm sitting here right now with one of those wide black waist bands on for my back pain!

Katherine